Many of us desire more from our daily lives. Our jobs are not fulfilling and the future looks gloomy because life happens, and not always in a good way. The freedom we long for may never materialize for us if we maintain our current course.
If your living paycheck to paycheck, those bills are pilling up, or maybe you just hate your job, then you will likely relate to this, and you understand exactly what I’m talking about. You also understand the time is now, and the only way to find what your looking for is to start pursuing it.
The cheapest way to start a blog, is to start it for free. There are options to run a blog without any up front investment, however, this usually means that you will not officially own it and you will be at the mercy of your hosting provider. Regardless, it does not get any cheaper than free, and you can earn revenue with a free blog.
The problem is that it can be overwhelming to choose a direction. There are so many options that could lead to success in abundance, but what do you really need and how much will it cost? Starting an online business is the most cost effective solution, to build wealth for yourself, because of the low barrier to entry.
I was searching for a cheap option myself, not necessarily a blog, but I did want an online business and as it turns out, blogging can be a business. That’s when I found Wealthy Affiliate and started following their training. I will explain more about this platform later in the post and you can check out my review here if you like, but for now, let’s cover how you can start a blog without investing a lot of capital.
I will first explain how you can get started cheap, but if you want to see how to start for free, then feel free to skip to the bottom.
How To Start A Blog If You Only Have A Little Money.
The cost of running a blog can vary depending on your choice of hosting, the added features, themes, etc., but it doesn’t have to be expensive. As I have already mentioned, this is the lowest barrier to entry career that you can create for yourself.
Let’s go over what you will need to get your blog started and how you can get there without breaking the bank.
- 1. Domain Name: You will need to decide the name of your new blog website. Try to pick something catchy and memorable. The idea is to be broad enough to not limit what your site is about, but narrow enough to be considered a niche market blog. This is the cheapest aspect of starting a blog as it typically runs between $5 and $15 per year. Stick around to see how you can get two completely free domain names.
- 2. Hosting: Now that you have a domain name, you are going to need somewhere to host it. Hosting services are also typically cheap and you can expect to pay around $90 a year on average for a basic hosting package. I highly recommend using a hosting service that offers a WordPress website. WordPress is the best platform for beginners and they make it easy to get started without the tech knowledge that used to be mandatory before this day and age.
- 3. Theme: There are a lot of great, and free, options out there when it comes to WordPress themes. You can change this at any time so try a few until you find one you like. Later, after your blog is earning an income, you can decide to upgrade to a paid theme. Just remember to always back up your website before making major changes like that. Better safe that sorry, right?
- 4. Produce Quality Content: If you write it, they will come, does not hold true here. If you are not producing quality content for your audience that is related to the topic of your blog, aka your niche, then they will not stick around to read your articles and you will find it hard to monetize without traffic. Make it engaging and informative so you can get your content ranked at the top of the SERPs, or search engine results pages. There are a lot of training resources, both free and paid, that you can utilize to learn these techniques.
- 5. Get Traffic: You can run ad campaigns or you can have your blog rely purely on SEO. SEO is the preferred method for any long term online business or blog. If you can rank well, then you will get organic search traffic to your content and that is the overall goal of driving your blog to success. Providing that valuable, and engaging content will only increase your odds of ranking well and earning this much-needed traffic.
- 6. Monetize Your Blog: Now, if you have been doing this right and you have put in the time, then you should be seeing some traffic to your site. The idea now is to offer products to that traffic that are relevant to your blog posts and will be helpful to them. A large majority of bloggers use affiliate marketing as a means to monetize. That’s because you don’t have to own the product or handle it in any way, you simply earn a commission anytime someone buys from you affiliate link. Depending on your blog type, you could be promoting your own products or reselling other products that you have purchased from a wholesaler or vendor. The product or service options are limitless here.
- 7. Don’t Stop Working On Your Blog: It will take time to earn any income from your blog, and it will take more time to see that income grow and become consistent. The more up to date your content is, the better your odds of keeping your traffic and earning an income from blogging. Just keep going, and keep learning, and you will see success. You never know exactly when that success will happen but consistent effort is the only way find out, and training can help get you there if your new to blogging and online business.
You can often get your domain name from the same company that you intend to have hosting your website, and in some cases, they may require you to host with them if you purchased the domain through them. There are free options available that you never have to pay for but I will discuss those a little later, so stick around to see the completely free option for getting started with your blog.
Where To Get A Cheap Domain Name And Hosting For Your New Blog.
A typical domain name will run you somewhere between $5 and $15 per year. The domain will expire every year unless you purchase it for an extended period, so be sure to renew the license annually or your domain will be back up for sale to the next person in line.
If you do a search for “where to buy a domain name”, you will likely see bluehost at the top of the list. bluehost is a very well-known and respected hosting service. They currently host over two million websites and have a great reputation for quality, speed, and customer satisfaction.
Here’s what you can expect if you use bluehost as your provider.
- Domain name is free for the first year
- Easy 1 click WordPress Install (Over 20% of websites are powered by WordPress, so this is a nice option, and it is becoming more common among hosting providers)
- Free SSL certificate and $49.99 per year for a premium SSL certificates
- Year round support just a few clicks away, just in case you need any help throughout the process of running your new online business
- Hosting starts at $3.95 a month for the basic package. You can see all available option in the image below.
bluehost Hosting Plans image here
I have not used bluehost myself, but overall it has a great reputation and if I were not happy with my current provider, this would be my top choice for hosting.
Some other reputable hosting companies that you could consider are listed below. Each has its ups and down but I have yet to uncover them, so I will just link to their platforms, and you can check them out at your convenience. I may have articles around these platforms later on if you are interested.
Feel free to let me know in the comments so I can focus on the information you need.
Stick around to find out how I get hosting for my paid domains, absolutely free. I’ll explain how you can gain access to the same platform, that has helped me create this very website you are on right now.
Where To Start A Blog For Free And Make Money.
I imagine that, if you have found this article, then you are looking to get started online. You want to create a blog on the cheap, and you likely don’t have any, or very little experience with how to make a blog successful.
If this is the case, then you should check out my review on Wealthy Affiliate. This single platform will give you everything you need to start a blog and use affiliate marketing to monetize it. Get trained from start to finish with the easy to follow text and video series training. There really is nothing else like this platform.
They have virtually everything you need in one place and you can become a member for free with absolutely no credit card info. No need to worry about getting a refund if your not satisfied, although I’m sure you will be happy with what they have to offer.
This is how you can get a free domain name and free hosting. Wealthy Affiliate gives you two completely free websites, hosted on their servers with your free membership. The only downside to using a free domain name is that you do not own it, and statistically, they have not been shown to rank as well.
However, considering that so many bloggers quit within their first couple of months, plus the fact that there is proof inside of Wealthy Affiliate that these free domains can rank well. I would say that content is king as usual and you can push your free domain to the top of the search results by providing valuable content to your readers.
If you put in the time and hard work, you can start earning an income online. Plant those seeds and watch them grow. To get an idea about the real time frame involved, check out my article about how long it takes to become a full time blogger.
Do You Think That This Cheap Method, Is Cost Effective Enough For You To Get Started?
I would like to know what you think about this article.
Did I leave something out that you think may be crucial to your understanding the process or how affordable it can be?
Do you consider these options to be affordable enough for you?
And just for fun. What is the first thing you will do, if you create a successful blog with little money and start earning an income online?
I really hope that you have enjoyed this article, and I hope that these options fit the bill for you, as they have for me.
To Your Success,